Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Going Green is not a FAD!

It really blows my mind that people get so upset fighting about global warming and whether it's really happening or blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is, we should be taking care of the earth regardless of what you think. There are a lot of verses in the bible about taking care of the environment. It's nothing new! We've been commanded to take care of God's creation. It has really been weighing on me these past few years especially, when I start thinking about my children's future. I remember when I was in Germany and was amazed at how much they recycled...it wasn't an option...why are we so behind? Here are some things that we've been doing to try and do our part...of course there are SO many other things we could be doing, but at least we're trying. I love the Seventh Generation cleaning supplies motto by the Iroquois, "In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations."

-2x concentrated laundry detergent
-All cleaning supplies/detergents/dish soap etc. are Seventh Generation (organic all natural etc) or Babyganics (They do just as good a job and smell better than all other cleaners I've used)
-Try to eat organic fruits and veggies (especially for Eli)
-Made my own babyfood
-Breastfeeding
-Only organic products for Eli (soap, shampoo, lotion, etc)
-Growing organic vegetable garden
-Don't use any pesticides in any of our gardening
-Feed and water birds
-Try to plant butterfly and bee attracting plants
-Eco friendly light bulbs
-Only run full loads of laundry and dishes
-Recycle everything but glass (this only costs us like $24 a YEAR for our trash service to take all recycling twice a month)
-Try to cook homemade meals with fresh ingredients and not use prepackaged/premade

Hopes for the future:
1. Hybrid car (please stop making them look like eggs...then I could convince my husband...thank you)

No comments: