Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fever

So....I was so relieved last week when Eli had no reaction whatsoever to the vaccines he got. Unfortunately, I had forgotten the fact that she said the symptoms would begin 5-7 days after the shot. We definitely were greeted yesterday evening to a not so fun fever exactly 6 days after the shots. I gave Eli Tylenol and hoped for the best, but when I checked on him at midnight he had a temperature of 103...felt like he was burning up. I gave him Tylenol and rocked him until his temperature started to go down. Needless to say, between midnight and 5:30 Brandon and I got sleep stretches of about 20 minutes. It was horrible and Eli was miserable. He had a fever all day today, but it was only 102 at the highest. He was so red, flushed, and hot. Once in a while he would have chills and his balance was off. This morning he was so tired from not sleeping and felt so horrible that he would only lay in my arms with his head on my shoulder all morning (he wouldn't even go to Brandon, so my arms felt like they were going to fall off). We were worried...we've never ever seen him act this miserable. He was whining/crying the entire time he was awake until I finally got him down for three/four naps, and around 1:30 p.m. we had a turn around. Brandon and I slept every time he did...we were all exhausted. His fever finally broke around 3:00 today (almost exactly 24 hour after it started like the doctor said it would). I had used Tylenol every 4 hours since it started. What a relief. I can tell he's still worn out from the whole ordeal, but he's actually playing and not wanting to be held. We even went outside and enjoyed the beauty. Eli has taken a liking to our back deck, which we love because we can work on the garden. I am so glad this all occurred while Brandon was home and on a weekend we had nothing going on. Praise God! We feel like fever experts now...we're so used to his usual temperature that even when it's slightly off we immediately know! Eli kept saying "baby baby baby baby" yesterday all day long. We'd say, "Do you want a boy or a girl", and of course he'd say "boy" considering that's the word he can say! He's so funny.

No comments: