Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tanganyika Wildlife Park















































































































Last week Eli was sick ALL week. Not only was he having a gluten reaction (stomach pain, cramps, bloated stomach etc.), but he also had an ear infection and an uncomfortable fever all week long. I am in the process of scheduling an appointment with a pediatric gastroenterologist for more support. I know what to do to keep him from getting sick, but I'm not sure what I should be doing when he does get sick. I'm looking forward to getting some answers! Needless to say, when Saturday rolled around I was VERY ready to get out of the house since Eli was feeling better. We decided to go to a place on my Summer "to do" list. Tanganyika Wildlife Park was a LOT of fun. It was very small, but very hands on. The kids loved getting to pet the rabbits, turtles, guinea pigs, goats, and the lemurs. We loved walking in with the kangaroos and the bird area. We had a lovely family picnic and just enjoyed the time together. Getting to sit amongst the Lemurs and have them climb on us was amazing! We bought Cora a stuffed Lemur she could snuggle and got Eli some more animals. For those who don't know, he LOVES those little animals/whales that come in the little plastic tubes. He sleeps with around ten of them at night and ALWAYS has some with him wherever we go. Later that weekend, we actually took the kids to the little carnival in town. Cora and Eli both rode the carousel and Eli rode the big slide and little motorcycles. It was just what I needed after a terrible week! One great piece of news is that Eli finished his first month of swimming lessons (and got to go down the water slide) and started speech this week (and did fantastic). I was a little discouraged when I got his speech report back from his screening. It ranked him as "severe" in both phonological deviations (a normal score is between 85 and 115 and he scored 139) and "severe deficit" in phonological patterns of speech. Instead of waiting for them to call me for scheduling, I went ahead and called immediately when I got the report in the mail (I'm a control freak if you haven't noticed). I am so glad I did! The lady told me that she was dreading calling me because there was a waiting list of 40 kids ahead of Eli. I just simply asked her if there were ANY openings at all, and she was surprised to find something had just opened up with the teacher I'd REALLY wanted and she GAVE it to me! It was pretty much a miracle! Eli had a lot of fun at his first speech session and I'm looking forward to watching his improvement!

No comments: